Unfair Game” – An exposé of South Africa’s captive-bred lion industry
UK Link – “Unfair Game” – Kindle, paperback published 16 June 2020
USA Link – “Unfair Game” – Kindle available, paperback due 7 July 2020
“In April 2019 Lord Ashcroft published the results of his year-long investigation into South Africa’s captive-bred lion industry. Over 11 pages of a single edition of the Mail on Sunday he showed why this sickening trade, which involves appalling cruelty to the ‘King of the Savannah’ from birth to death, has become a stain on the country.
Unfair Game, published in June 2020 (Kindle/paperback), features the shocking results of a new inquiry Lord Ashcroft has carried out into South Africa’s lion business. In the book, he shows how tourists are unwittingly being used to support the abuse of lions; he details how lions are being tranquilised and then hunted in enclosed spaces; he urges the British government to ban imports of captive-bred lion trophies; and he demonstrates why Asia’s insatiable appetite for lion bones has become a multi-million dollar business linked to criminality and corruption which now underpins South Africa’s captive lion industry” – Biteback Publishing
The revelations in “Unfair Game” come from two separate undercover operations over two years – codenamed “Operation Simba” and “Operation Chastise” – include:
- A warning from experts that lion farming and the lion bone trade are likely to lead another major public health incident, possibly even another coronavirus-style pandemic.
- A gruesome video showing two hunting lodge owners callously shooting a lioness in a tree. The animal is then shot another nine times in seven minutes as she lies dying in agony on the ground.
- Proof wild lion cubs are being caught in Botswana to increase the gene pool of South Africa’s captive-bred lion industry. This blows a hole in the claims of lion farmers that their business promotes conservation.
- A senior South African police chief rejecting the dossier of evidence from Lord Ashcroft’s second investigation and threatening to arrest the leading undercover operative.
- Evidence of a captive-bred lion being hunted and killed illegally using a pack of dogs; and evidence of a British hunter paying to take part in an illegal “green hunt” in which a lion was shot with tranquiliser darts.
- Lions being kept in disgusting conditions at a farm in Free State Province before 54 were slaughtered in just two days.
- Farmers crossing tigers and lions to create “ligers” – freaks of nature which grow at an accelerated rate to generate bigger profits.
- The rescue of an adult male lion, “Simba” from certain death at the hands of trophy hunters. Lord Ashcroft has now housed him in a secure location where he will live happily for the rest of his days.
“‘Unfair Game’ reveals the cruel reality of canned lions,” Daily Maverick, 19 June 2020
“Britain needs a total ban on hunting trophies,” Lord Ashcroft, Daily Telegraph, 23 November 2019